References & Concepting Characters

 

Referencing and Concept Page


 For this page, I will present the many reference sheets, concept art and sketches that show my work, my characters and my design choices. Rough or rendered, these will show you how my characters will look with details that may indicate colour, lighting, shape, structure, function etc. These images may include traditional, digital, 2D, 3D, text, etc.


2D rough GingerBubbins reference ( Outfit Purple + Red )

Purple without hat:


Purple with hat: 


This is Gingers' Purple outfit, the main colour pallet that her first design was integrated with. The design is somewhat refined and different from its concept look. So as of now, this is her purple outfit's finalised look. However, this may change in the future as I refine her more.

Red without hat:


Red with hat:



This is Ginger's secondary outfit. This set is similar to her purple one. Yet it has a little more going on with its colour blocking and accessories. It still sports the same Logo as my other character Bunny the Rabbit. However, the pallet pans towards the warmer side of the colour range, also implementing a jacket with a hoodie, and a sports cap instead of a beanie.

Some Changes have been made to Bubbins. Such as the changes to her oral tissue (Inner mouth), Being blue instead of the usual red. Her feet have more of a smaller paw to the main sole. As well as having more Human hands compared to her previous iterations. I have also implemented a view of ginger in the dark so you can see what parts of her glow or have a glittery-like look to them. 


2D Rough Reference To My Main Cast Of Characters


These are the main characters of an animated series I've been wanting to make for myself for a while. I've been developing these characters for years and I wanted to present their old look, their updated look and other variants that I may have come up with through my brainstorming and off-topic stories. 

Here you have the main crew, my order: 

  • Bunny the rabbit 
  • Meco the mouse 
  • Speedy the dragonfly
  • Atlas the moth 
  • Marble the butterfly 
  • Hunny the Rabbit
  • Sam the Rabbit

The order of the characters may change throughout the drawings and some of the consistency may be lost as most of these will be rough drafts and concept sketches. However, I do like to keep a few things relatively clear, like the rough height of the characters compared to each other. The number of stitches in the 3 rabbits' ears + their lack of a tail. Also a general feel of their facial and body structure. for example, Bunny is a bulky build with bigger legs and feet, while Speedy is more slender yet top-heavy due to his wings and ability to fly and carry members of The Gang. 
 

The Gang's Past Look

This is what The Gang used to look like before 2021-2022. I will still be using these looks for past events and other things. Yet they also now have new looks that I want to implement as the main feature of my story. But the oldest design of the past looks are Bunny, Sam and Hunny. The most recent are Atlas and Marble. There are a lot of colours that make up their looks and for their future designs, I wanted to simplify their colour pallets and keep 1 colour that connects them all together. So 1-2 main colours, and then a shared accent colour. This shared accent colour will present a form of connection between them and will probably be lightly hinted at in my story. 



The Gang's Good Future Looks


Around 2021-2022 I came up with the latest designs for The Gang's outfits. I first started with my main character Bunny, and slowly I moved to the next one with help from friends and family. In the end, these are the outfits I came up with. Although I'm thinking of working on Atlas's outfit a little more as something seems missing or off about his general look. I believe there is an unbalance between the black and dark blue within the colour pallet. That and his outfit seem a little too simplified compared to the others within the group. I also went out of my way to make my characters bright and to stand out from the background. This is so that when I make the backgrounds, they're more likely to be the main focus while the backgrounds will be more simplified and soft.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sketches

Fully Rendered Illustrations

Renders of Models